Sunday, April 18, 2010

Blessing in Disguise

For the third time in the last five minutes, Kunal checked the time in his watch. Wondering how slowly the time passes when you are waiting for someone, he started pondering over the incidents of the last few days. Seven days ago, if someone would have told him that he will be given such a big opportunity in his life, he would have laughed it off. The truth was that nobody thought he is any good at anything at all. Except for asking about the reviews about any new movies, or for getting downloaded any new songs for anyone. His father had told him a number of times that he was a good-for-nothing soul.
“Look at his age Preeti; it has already been three years since he finished his graduation. He hasn’t stuck with a job for more than two months. Forget about others’ offices he could not work at our own office as well.” His father blasted some months ago to his mother, when he stopped coming to his office all of a sudden.
But he did not answer him anything. In fact he did not answer anybody whenever he was being criticized. Sometimes he thought he is not answering himself as well. He wanted to answer every one of them that he wanted to do his things. But what were his things? The main problem was that he was yet to find an answer to it, till a week ago.
“I think the meeting went just fine. Then why is Mr. Mehra is taking so much of time?” He asked himself. He wanted to go rush in to his cabin and ask what the matter is. Then he resisted himself thinking it would not be a prudent thing to do.
“Mr. Kunal, Mr. Mehra will see you now. You can go inside his cabin”, said the receptionist bringing an end to his impatience. He, however, was stuck with a new emotion: anxiety. He could feel the butterflies in his stomach. Gathering himself he proceeded to Mr. Mehra’s cabin.
“May I come in sir?” He entered asking. “Please Kunal, do have a seat and please do me a favour, call me Akhilesh. This sir tag does not go with my age.”
“Thanks sir, err... Akhilesh!” said Kunal smiling nervously. He sat on the chair directed by Mr. Mehra, still unsure how to start the talking. When he could not come up with any idea, he just waited for Mr. Mehra to start.
Mr. Mehra studied the file in front of him carefully without saying or giving any expression. This made Kunal all the more nervous. It looked like Mr. Mehra is taking an eternity to come to the point.
Finally he looked up and said, “Kunal, it seems that you are too inexperienced for this whole work. In fact, your past jobs have shown that you are not able to retain for any longer than two months.”
Kunal dreaded this would come. He took a proud of himself on being able to do what he wants. But today, he hated it as he could sense the opportunity slipping away. He gathered all the courage he had and said, “But sir, I mean Akhilesh, you mentioned this is not a job. This is more of entrepreneurship.”
Mr. Mehra took a moment to consider what Kunal had said then spoke, “You are right, but you see, we need someone who can work for longer time. We want stability as well. You might not earn substantial in the earlier months. However, the income is sure to come with smart work in the following months.”
Kunal was dismayed at hearing this. He cleared his throat and said, “Akhilesh, all the jobs I have done is about selling some stupid things or answering some silly queries over the phone. In fact, I left my father’s business because I did not like to work on those noisy workshops as well. Speaking about your work; this is all I like. I like it to be working for myself, on the things I like. So please give me one chance, I promise I would not fail.”
Mr. Mehra replied with sympathy, “See here Kunal, I really appreciate your eagerness to work for us. But at the same time, I do have a board to convince. You see a lot is at stake.”
“Sir, if I could do it by any other means, it would be great for me.” Kunal was now pleading.
Mr. Mehra sank deeply in his chair thinking deeply and said, “Well there could be one way actually, but you will have to co-operate with me. If I can show some monetary security in the contract with you, I may be able to convince the board.”
“What kind of security, sir?”
“Well if you can deposit one lakh rupees as a refundable security deposit with us, I can convince the board about your case. This money won’t go anywhere and as soon as you finish one year of working with us, you can get the money back. This will also give you some motivation to work harder as stakes will be higher for you as well.” Mr. Mehra waited for Kunal’s reaction.
This made Kunal think as he was planning not to tell his father anything about it at all. He wanted to surprise them that he could do anything worth by showing the earnings he was to make. Judging by his response, Mr. Mehra pressed on,
“I can stretch up to this point only. Now onus is entirely on you. If you tell me I can proceed for the documentation.”
That night Kunal could not sleep at all. He kept juxtaposing the scenarios if he would ask his father for help or he would just forget all about the offer. At last, he came up with conclusion that there was nothing wrong in trying to ask father about the money. As he already did not have any reputation to lose. If his father says no, well, then also he would do the same thing if he would have done otherwise. Nothing at all!
He gathered courage and faced his father when he had returned from the morning walk.
“Dad, I need to talk with you. Can you spare some time?”
“Oh of course, his highness, I have all the time in the world for my Royal son! Tell me which girl you want to marry?” His father had gone very sarcastic with him in the past few days.
“At least listen to him Na, you never give him a chance.” His mother took his son’s side.
“How many more chances you need? Sahab-jada has already left five jobs if you don’t count our own business. Bolo beta, what you want now?” His father retorted bitterly.
“Please dad! Just for once listen to me. I know I have been irresponsible all the while and not been the best son. But I could not find the thing what I look to do. Finally I have something that I like to do but I need your support for that.” Kunal said with a hint of tears in his eyes.
“What kind of support? And what is that you intend to do anyway?” His father was softened a bit hoping that his son was up to something worthwhile.
“I have come across an IT company with which I can work on contract basis. I would be doing some of their basic online work and get paid according to the work I do.” Kunal waited for the reaction from his father. His father nodded so he continued; “Only hurdle is that they want a security deposit from me for one year. They want the deposit because I am inexperienced and they need people who stays longer with them.”
“I told you the habit of changing the jobs will be a hurdle for you one day. How much money they want anyway?” His father was so angry with him that he did not miss a single opportunity to sting him with his taunts.
Kunal replied in a small voice, “One lakh rupees.”
“One lakh rupees! What if you stop working for them in a year or they throw you out?” asked his father.
“Dad, I promise I would not leave them. And the work is such that I am really confident they will not throw me away. Please give me one chance. If I fail, I will return to your business the next day. I am also tired of not being able to find what to do!” Kunal said desperately.
His father was still a little sceptic but he said, “Thik hai beta! As such I have spent so much behind you, take this much more. But this is the last time I am doing something. Don’t come to me after this.”
Four Months Later-
“Kunal, come out of your room beta. There are two gentlemen looking for you.” Kunal’s mother shouted from the leaving room.
“Yes?” inquired Kunal on seeing some unfamiliar faces.
“Mr. Kunal Joshi? I am Zala and this is my colleague Dave from NASSCOM. You will have to accompany us to our office. You are required to be detained for an inquiry in cyber crime case” said one of the gentlemen with authority.
“What cyber crime? I am not involved in anything like that.” Kunal answered in a shaking voice.
“Mr. Kunal if you do not come with us now, we will have to come with the police with an arrest warrant. We are only taking you with us for investigation and it won’t take long.” The other officer tried to explain Kunal.
“Where are you taking my son?” Her mother asked fearing there is something wrong going on.
“Mom, do not worry about me. Let me see what it is all about. I will be back as soon as I can. Chalo, officers.” Kunal was a little worried but he assured his mother.
***
“So you are saying that you were working for some company which does not exist and that company was responsible for all the frauds, not you.” Officer Zala asked Kunal.
“Mr. Zala, I can also show the contract between the company and me. I cannot understand where Mr. Akhilesh Mehra is. He is out of station but He was to return three days back.” Kunal was trying to explain him once again.
“Kunal you might be telling the truth as we have seven to eight individuals like you accused for the same crime individually and all claiming to be working for the same company. But the matter is that no such company has ever been existed. Secondly, the work you do is from your own place, under your own name. This might be an organized fraud but that is not our job to check. We are here only to verify whether you were engaged in any cyber crime or not and it seems that you were. As far as the fraud is concerned, CBI would be looking after it.” Mr. Zala explained it at length to Kunal.
“But sir, I still do not know that I was doing any crime. I was merely doing my job and I was to get paid for it. In fact, I have not recovered the one lakh deposit that I had paid. I have lost my time, money and now I am being charged as well.” Kunal was almost broken to tears.
“I will be careful about it in my report. But till then you are advised not to leave this city. You are free to go home but you shall have to report your attendance to us on daily basis.” Mr. Dave spoke for the first time during the investigation.
Back at home Kunal was sobbing silently in his room when his father entered. He silently put his hand on his son’s shoulder saying, “Beta don’t worry I am talking to lawyers I know. You will be acquitted.”
“Dad, I am not worried about the case. I know about my innocence. What puzzles me is that for the first time in my life I was enjoying to work and now I can’t do that as well.”
“It pains me a lot that what I could not find in all these years, that fraud could find it in minutes; your interest. You are interested in doing something on your own in IT. Then be it. Don’t worry about investment. I will give you money and some of it we can taken loan. But you should do what you like my son.”  
And so, Kunal started his own business. Kunal and other accused people were acquitted as Mr. Akhilesh Fraud Mehra was caught from a city of south India. Kunal could never get his money back from him but he and his father were now at peace. This was a blessing in disguise.
***

No comments: